Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Potters Wheel


  I had the best time tonight with my meetup group Girlfriends of Mid-Cities. We went to the Art Castle  There we got to try out a potters wheel...I have never done this before...I used heavy consentration to make Lucky a new dog bowl...lol....actually I started out wanting to make a cup or a vase..it ended up a bowl..heres how..

We started out making a meatball...according to  Monika..lol



Then on to mounting our clay to the wheel.
And a bit of Cottling of the clay




Then more cottling and the Karate Chop techinque




gives you the base to do this techinique..bad student forgot what it was called, but then more cottling




here is my bowl before the lift techinque
and a bit more cottling and the C techinque




After alot of cottling, lifting and smoothing
here is my completed bowl ready to dry and  fire



     ok I know they don't look much different, it is becasue I wasn't good at the lift...lol..actually I got it then I wrecked it just as fast...wasn't as easy as it looks...I will get it next time..yes next time because I will return to make another...then they have a class called Racu...I need to do that too...then they also work with glass and I need to try that some too...lol...I loved this place, Miss Betty and Miss Tracy were awesome to work with...so check out the link to thier place and if you are local ...stop in and check the place out...you just might find yourself having a bit of fun too.

I have to wait for this to be dried and fired before I can paint it....so check back in February to see my fancy art work....check out the Art Castle in the mean time while you wait...have a great weekend


DeeDee

5 comments:

RuthieB said...

That looks like you had sooooo much fun!!! And I know Lucky will love it!!!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Very cool, Dee Dee. Someone is going to love their new bowl!!!
Hugs,
Donna

Brenda said...

you go girl!!!! looks like you had a blast!!! You know what movie I am thinking of right now......
hugs
Brenda

Anny said...

That looks like so much fun :)

Proper Prim said...

Oh I so want to do this... bad... you find all the fun things to do... LOL... your bowl looks amazing DeeDee... you are a natural... I hope you signed the bottom... I won't buy any pottery unless it is signed... I am in love with your little tins... they are adorable.

Thanks for popping by earlier ...you are so clever... I never even thought of wine glasses... this piece gets more interesting by the minute...LOL...

Hugs Deb